December 7th, 2018
Dr. Barden and his team love this time of year! Between Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year’s there are so many reasons to celebrate with family and friends. And, yes, we LOVE the many delicious, holiday treats!
We get it – holiday treats are delicious! The holidays are a time when we cook our favorite desserts and share them with family and friends. Just remember - if you have braces avoid sticky candy (such as caramel), nuts, and hard candies or appetizers that could break your orthodontic appliances and bend the wires. If you have Invisalign aligners you will be happy to learn you can eat whatever you want because you can remove your aligners while you eat. Just be sure to brush before putting the aligners back on.
In order to keep teeth healthy while also enjoying the many delicious holiday treats we suggest the following things:
• Everything in moderation – some treats and sweets are fine but be cautious about the amount of sugary foods that you eat.
• Don’t snack on sweets all day – that just extends the amount of time for the sugar to be on your teeth. Pick your time to eat the sweets and then brush your teeth clean!
• Pick sweets that are not sticky. Chocolate is a better choice as it is easier to rinse from your teeth.
• Take a travel toothbrush with you! After eating the sweets be sure to give your teeth a brush to remove the sugar
• Forgot your toothbrush? Drink some water to rinse your teeth and dilute the sugar.
• Be sure to brush 2 times a day for 2 minutes each time! Floss and use a fluoride rinse at night to be sure you have a sparkling, clean smile!
The holidays are a great time to schedule your 6 month check up and cleaning with your dentist. They can also work with you to whiten your teeth if you want to have an extra bright smile for those holiday photos.
Happy Holidays to everyone from Barden Orthodontics. We wish you all a season filled with love, friendship, and good cheer.