Dr. Douglas Barden and his team love this time of year! Between Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year’s there are so many delicious, holiday treats!
In order to keep teeth healthy while also enjoying the many delicious holiday treats we suggest the following things:
• Everything in moderation – some treats and sweets are fine but be cautious about the amount of sugary foods that you eat.
• Don’t snack on sweets all day – that just extends the amount of time for the sugar to be on your teeth. Pick your time to eat the sweets and then brush your teeth clean!
• Pick sweets that are not sticky. Chocolate is a better choice as it is easier to rinse from your teeth.
• Use a travel toothbrush - after eating the sweets be sure to give your teeth a brush to remove the sugar
• Drink some water to rinse your teeth and dilute the sugar.
Remember, if you have braces you should avoid sticky candy (such as caramel), nuts, and hard candies that could break your orthodontic appliances or bend the wires. If you have Invisalign or clear aligners you can eat whatever you want because you remove your aligners while you eat. Just remember to brush before putting the aligners back on!
The holidays are a great time to schedule your 6 month check up and cleaning with your dentist. They can also work with you to whiten your teeth if you want to have an extra bright smile for those holiday photos.
Happy Holidays to everyone from Barden Orthodontics. We wish you all a season filled with love, good cheer, and beautiful smiles.