January 3rd, 2019
The start of the year is a great time to renew your commitment to maintaining your beautiful, healthy smile with great dental hygiene.
You have chosen to get orthodontic treatment because you value having a beautiful, healthy smile. Dr. Barden and his team are working with you to improve your teeth positioning and jaw alignment. To ensure a beautiful smile you will also need to do your part -- it is important that you follow all instructions about wearing your appliances and rubber bands. It is also important that you have excellent dental hygiene to keep your teeth clean and cavity free. Below are some of our top tips for a healthy smile!
New Year's Resolutions for a Healthy Smile
- Follow the 2-2 rule. Brush your teeth 2 times a day for 2 minutes each time. Use a timer to make sure you don’t cut the time short.
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss, or use an interdental brush, to clean in between your teeth. Floss every day!
- Rinse with a mouthwash designed to show missed food particles. This way you are sure to get everything clean and improve your brushing skills!
- Visit your dentist for an exam and cleaning every 6 months, or more regularly as directed by the doctor.
- Choose healthy foods and beverages. Limit sugary foods and snacks to special treats and then brush after eating!
Remember to ask Dr. Barden and his team if you have any questions about what you can do to keep your teeth healthy and clean to ensure a smile that you will love for a lifetime!
Everyone at Barden Orthodontics wishes you the best in the New Year. We hope this year is filled with lots of love, good cheer, and happy, healthy smiles!
December 7th, 2018
Dr. Barden and his team love this time of year! Between Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year’s there are so many reasons to celebrate with family and friends. And, yes, we LOVE the many delicious, holiday treats!
We get it – holiday treats are delicious! The holidays are a time when we cook our favorite desserts and share them with family and friends. Just remember - if you have braces avoid sticky candy (such as caramel), nuts, and hard candies or appetizers that could break your orthodontic appliances and bend the wires. If you have Invisalign aligners you will be happy to learn you can eat whatever you want because you can remove your aligners while you eat. Just be sure to brush before putting the aligners back on.
In order to keep teeth healthy while also enjoying the many delicious holiday treats we suggest the following things:
• Everything in moderation – some treats and sweets are fine but be cautious about the amount of sugary foods that you eat.
• Don’t snack on sweets all day – that just extends the amount of time for the sugar to be on your teeth. Pick your time to eat the sweets and then brush your teeth clean!
• Pick sweets that are not sticky. Chocolate is a better choice as it is easier to rinse from your teeth.
• Take a travel toothbrush with you! After eating the sweets be sure to give your teeth a brush to remove the sugar
• Forgot your toothbrush? Drink some water to rinse your teeth and dilute the sugar.
• Be sure to brush 2 times a day for 2 minutes each time! Floss and use a fluoride rinse at night to be sure you have a sparkling, clean smile!
The holidays are a great time to schedule your 6 month check up and cleaning with your dentist. They can also work with you to whiten your teeth if you want to have an extra bright smile for those holiday photos.
Happy Holidays to everyone from Barden Orthodontics. We wish you all a season filled with love, friendship, and good cheer.
November 7th, 2018
A Healthy Smile requires a Partnership between You, your Orthodontist, and your Dentist.
Did you know all orthodontists are dentists, but only 6% of dentists are orthodontists? Becoming an orthodontist requires 2 to 3 years of training in addition to dental school. Dr. Barden is an orthodontist who specializes in the movement of teeth and dentofacial development. Dr. Barden will provide the expertise and a treatment plan to straighten your teeth and align your jaws.
While in Dr. Barden’s care he will work in close cooperation with you and your family dentist to ensure the development of a healthy, beautiful smile.
Why do you need to continue seeing your general dentist while in the care of Dr. Barden? Your family dentist will continue to monitor that your teeth and gums stay clean and healthy. Dental hygiene is especially important during orthodontic treatment as it can be more difficult to keep teeth clean while in braces.
What is the patient’s role?
• It is essential that patients (you!) follow your dentist’s instructions on how to keep your teeth clean and visit every six months for a dental cleaning (or more often as instructed).
• You must also follow Dr Barden’s instructions and wear your appliances and bands as instructed so that your teeth and jaws move in the way desired and on schedule.
• It is important that you avoid hard and sticky foods that can damage your orthodontic appliances. Broken brackets and bent wires will slow down treatment progress.
Working together results a healthy, beautiful smile that you will have for a lifetime!
If you have questions be sure to ask Dr. Barden or his staff.
October 5th, 2018
Fall is a great time for fresh, healthy vegetables. Whether you grow them in your garden or get them at a local farmer’s market, they are tasty and full of vitamins that are essential for healthy teeth. Are you looking for a delicious healthy recipe that uses garden vegetables and is “brace friendly” food? Below is a Barden family favorite recipe. It is perfect for a cool fall day and since the veggies are cooked soft they won’t damage your brackets or wires.
Easy Garden Vegetarian Chili
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
5 cloves of minced garlic
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cups juicy chopped fresh tomatoes
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 cup corn kernels
1 can kidney beans
2 cups water or vegetable stock
tomato paste as needed to thicken as preferred
salt and pepper to preference
Heat oil in pot. Add onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Sauté until onion is soft. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Bring to boil and then simmer over low until vegetables are soft. Enjoy!
Share your family favorite recipes on our Facebook page.