October 7th, 2022
At Barden Orthodontics we love beautiful, healthy smiles. We are thrilled when patients finish orthodontic treatment and they have big, beautiful smiles that truly shine. We hope they continue to share these radiant smiles with everyone they see!
We want to highlight what we think are some fascinating reasons to show off your great teeth and smile:
- When people smile, they actually start to feel happier.
- Jokes (even Dr. Barden’s dental jokes) are funnier if people are smiling before they even hear the joke. Psychological research has found that if people hold a pencil in their mouth sideways (forcing a smile) they will rate a joke as funnier. Give it a try with our favorite dental jokes!
- Smiles make you more attractive to other people.
- Smiling is the universal language of kindness and they signal altruistic intentions to other people.
- Smiles are contagious. If you smile others will automatically smile back.
- Smiling can promote your physical health! Research shows that smiling can help to relieve stress and lower blood pressure.
- Smiling releases brain chemicals that can reduce perception of pain.
Learn more about the Science of Smiling from the Association for Psychological Science here: The Psychological Study of Smiling – Association for Psychological Science – APS