January 8th, 2021
Are you ready for some football?! Watching the Super bowl might look a bit different this year. The big watch parties may be cancelled, but you can still eat great food while cheering on your favorite team. Check out Dr Barden’s favorite, braces friendly appetizer recipes!
Craving something spicy?
Stuffed Jalapeno poppers
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces ground sausage
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 10 large jalapenos
Cook and drain the meat. Slice the jalapenos in half and clean out seeds. Combine the other ingredients and stuff the peppers. Bake on a greased pan at 350 for 15 – 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Do you have a sweet tooth?
- Skewer strawberries, pieces of fresh pineapple, apple, cantaloupe, grapes and other favorite fruits onto a kebab stick. Serve with a side of fruit dip.
- 1 container of cool whip
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
Mix cool whip and cocoa powder. Serve chilled.
Looking for easy finger food?
Savory Roll Ups
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 4 ounce can of chopped green chilies
- 4 ounce can chopped black olives
- 1 package of flour tortilla shells
Mix cream cheese, chilies, and olives together. Spread a layer of the dip onto a tortilla shell. Roll the shell, chill, and cut into bite size pieces.
Remember if you have braces, avoid any hard (nuts or popcorn) or sticky (caramels) appetizers as they can break brackets and orthodontic appliances. Broken appliances can result in an extra appointment at our office and slow down your treatment progress.
What are your favorite game-time recipes? Share them with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Enjoy the Game!
November 8th, 2019
Everyone at Barden Orthodontics is looking forward to Thanksgiving! It’s a day to show appreciation for the many wonderful things in our lives. It’s also a chance to share our favorite foods with family and friends.
Traditional Thanksgiving foods also happen to be Braces-Friendly Food. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy are all soft and easy to eat with braces. If you have braces, be sure to avoid any hard foods that might bend wires or break the brackets and orthodontic appliances. If you have Invisalign® you can eat whatever you want because you remove the aligners while eating!
If you are looking for a new recipe that is braces-friendly, here is one of Dr. Douglas Barden’s favorite Thanksgiving dishes. It’s packed with vegetables that are cooked soft, sure to please everyone, and easy to eat even with sore teeth!
Creamy Vegetable Casserole
- 1 large package of frozen broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower combination
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl combine vegetable, mushroom soup, 1/2 cup cheese, sour cream. Salt and pepper to personal preference. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer.
You can easily double this recipe if you are serving a big crowd!
Share your favorite braces-friendly recipe with us on our Facebook page.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from Barden Orthodontics!